xlr8_arts Dance Studio
100 Montague St, South Melbourne
TV, Film and Theatre star Lucy Durack announced as Ambassador for new performing arts studio, xlr8_arts, in Melbourne. Lucy’s husband, Christopher Horsey is a world champion tap dancer (Fred Astaire International Tap Championship, New York) and a well known director and choreographer in Australia and he is opening a new dance studio in South Melbourne. Lucy will mentor the students in group sessions throughout the year offering a rare opportunity for locals and Chris will share with the students his wealth of knowledge accumulated as a performer on the West End, Broadway on film and during his 3 decades of experience teaching the performing arts all over Australia and in the USA, UK, NZ, Japan, Hong Kong and India. Chris tells us this equates to over 10K hours of teaching
The Australian showbiz couple moved to Melbourne with their young children a few years ago to enjoy the rich cultural environment Melbourne has to offer and to contribute to the supportive arts community Melbourne is famous for. Lucy had the thrill of joining the late Bert Newton as the Queen of Moomba and this recent appointment as ambassador to xlr8_arts gives Lucy and her family yet another way to contribute to the community, show leadership in the industry and breathe new life into Chris’ strengths in Tap Dance, Musical Theatre and Drama.
Fun Facts about Christopher Horsey –
- Original Cast and originated the role of ‘Tip’ in Hot Shoe Shuffle, the Australian tap dance musical which became the first Australian musical to play on London’s West End in 1994.
- Original Member of Tap Dogs performing all over North America including 6 months at Union Square Theatre in New York. (Highlight included performing alongside Stevie Wonder at a tribute to Quincy Jones in Los Angeles).
- 2019 Green Room Award nominee for his choreography of Thoroughly Modern Millie for The Production Company (State Theatre, Arts Centre, Melbourne)
- 2017 Australian Dance Award nominee for his work as Director/Choreographer of Swing On This starring Rob Mills, Ben Mingay, Matt Lee, Luke Kennedy and the late Michael Falzon.
- Choreographer of the lauded psychological drama series Wakefield (ABC/Jungle Entertainment) recently voted by The Guardian as #1 Australian show of 2021.
- Choreographer ofMickey’s Christmas Big Band at Disneyland Paris, which employs 14 of Australia’s top tap dancers each year for a 3 month contract.
- Resident choreographer of Carols In The Domain