A Circus Spectacular That’s Out of This World This Christmas
Canberra, Sydney & Melbourne
WIN TICKETS! … We have a family pass (4 tickets all ages) to giveaway to see Cirque Stratosphere at the Opera House on Tuesday 24th December, 4pm. To enter send in your name and number to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries close Dec 20. Winner drawn at random.
This festive season, Cirque Stratosphere – a spectacular new circus from the creators of CIRCUS 1903 (2016) and last summer’s smash-hit The Illusionists: Direct from Broadway – will transform the Sydney Opera House Concert Hall into a futuristic space-age utopia for a strictly limited season from 24-29 December 2019.
A dazzling new show, Cirque Stratosphere features gravity-defying acts on a scale never seen before at the Opera House. For six nights only, a troupe of Olympic-standard acrobats and gymnasts cast by The Works Entertainment will demonstrate that even the sky isn’t the limit.
Audiences will witness thrilling performances inside The Columbian Wheel of Death, impressive stunts on rollerskates, death-defying acrobatics on a Russian Bar – where the performer is thrown in the air by two partners holding the bar – sky-high contortions in The Aerial Sphere, the Russian Swing to Swing and many more. These extraordinary feats effortlessly blend agility, coordination and showmanship to create an out-of-this-world spectacle.
Sydney Opera House Head of Contemporary Performance, Olivia Ansell, says: “We’re proud to take one small step for man and one giant step for circus with The Works Entertainment to create the brand new show Cirque Stratosphere. The 50th anniversary of the Moon Landing has renewed our fascination with space, and what lives beyond the earth’s atmosphere. Lift off with your family and friends in the Concert Hall this festive season. Your only mission – fun!”
The talented duo Simon Painter and Tim Lawson, otherwise known as The Works Entertainment, are also the creative minds behind the epic Le Grand Cirque, Le Noir, Cirque Adrenalin and The Illusionists. Their unmissable productions have now travelled to more than 400 cities around the globe.
Simon Painter, Creative Producer, The Works Entertainment, says: “We are very excited for audiences to witness this futuristic aerial spectacular in the round, as never before seen in the Concert Hall. It’s a redefinition of circus.”
Feature Acts Include:
- The Planetary Prodigy (Polina Volchek) ⎯ Combining strength, flexibility, endurance, dance and gymnastics, this pole artist lifts and contorts herself with stunning ease and grace.
- The Orbiter (Felice Aguilar) ⎯ A former rhythmic gymnast and versatile performer whose unique spinning artistry will captivate and amaze.
- The Galactus Gods (Dmitry Makrushin & Oleg Bespalov) ⎯ An awe-inspiring display of power, flexibility and balance by two renowned Russian gymnasts whose incomparable strength and flexibility must be seen to be believed.
- Duo Velocity (Evgenii Viktorovich & Natalia Viktorovna) ⎯ Two incredible skaters defying the odds as they spin within the confines of a raised platform to a pulsating soundtrack.
- Submergence (Nicolas-Yang Wang & Shengpeng Nie) ⎯ The crowd-pleasing act of hoop diving has these performers diving, jumping, twisting and somersaulting through and over hoops which are stacked on top of each other.
- Tape Face ⎯ The phenomenal international act that became a household name after the act was featured on ‘America’s Got Talent’ – He is the host of Cirque Stratosphere!
Cirque Stratosphere will also tour to Canberra and Melbourne.
CANBERRA ⏤ Canberra Theatre
SYDNEY ⏤ Concert Hall, Sydney Opera House
MELBOURNE ⏤ Hamer Hall, Arts Centre Melbourne