Dance & Theatre Highlights at Sydney Festival 2019
Every January, Sydney Festival starts the new year with a bang, transforming the city with a bold cultural celebration based on critical ideas and cutting-edge art and performance.
For over 40 years the Sydney Festival has been delivering leading-edge performances to Sydney audiences in the genres of theatre, dance, art installations, music, street art, cabaret, circus and physical theatre, visual arts, opera and contemporary and classical arts. Next year is no exception, with a program packed with amazing acts both free and ticketed over the 3-week festival.
This year’s Sydney Festival includes a number of dance, musical theatre, and physical theatre events including the highly acclaimed Dust by Dancenorth, The Ropes by Amrita Hepi, The Nutcracker and I for ballet enthusiasts and the smash hit musical In The Heights at the Opera House.
Events of interest for the dance community are:
- Dust is the latest work by Dancenorth who have partnered with an architectural studio to create an exciting new contemporary dance piece.
- One Infinity is a massive collaborative work, including Gideon Obarzanek as choreographer and dancers from Dancenorth and Beijing Dance Theater.
- Man With The Iron Neck by Legs on the Wall is a mix of dance and theatre
- The Nutcracker and I is a stage performance by a pianist, a ballerina and a series of projected animations
- Biladurang a solo contemporary dance work, performe din a hotel room by dancer Joel Bray.
- Silent Disco is an opportunity for everyone to have a dance in the brand new galleries at the NSW State Library, particularly relevant to your younger readers will be the family event on 18 January 2019.
- The Ropes is a video installation by choreographer/dancer Amrita Hepi.
- In The Heights – an original Lin-Manuel Miranda modern day musical featuring an all Australian cast and creative at the Opera House
- Home which is a physical theatre show from America that recently won a Bessie.
- Shanghai Miimi – a new Australian cabaret style show featuring live musicians, singers and acrobats from China.
- Pigalle is a cabaret and burlesque show that features Marcia Hines in the story of a fading Parisian town in the seventies.
SYDNEY FESTIVAL 2019
January 9 – 27
All event info, details, venues and bookings at: www.sydneyfestival.org.au