EDC will tour BLACK in China
As part of their Chinese Australian Dance Exchange Project, Queensland-based Expressions Dance Company will travel to China later this year to perform BLACK, their co-collaboration with Guangdong Modern Dance Company.
Expressions Dance Company’s (EDC) collaboration with Guangdong Modern Dance Company (GMDC) to create BLACK is the first phase of its Chinese Australian Dance Exchange Project. Commencing in 2015 and extending until 2020, EDC has entered into a groundbreaking partnership with China’s leading contemporary dance companies.
BLACK recently completed its premiere season in Brisbane as part of a triple bill, and the dancers will travel back to China in October/November 2016 to open the Guangdong Dance Festival with BLACK.
The creative partnership began in 2015 when EDC’s ensemble travelled to China to collaborate with GMDC, forming new relationships and premiering the new work. BLACK was created under the direction of acclaimed Hong Kong choreographer Xing Liang and EDC’s Artistic Director Natalie Weir said she is thrilled to present the work to Australian audiences.
In this Chinese-Australian collaboration, dancers from both companies use materials and textures seen in their lives to collage the dreamlike, fleeting and ineffable charm of ‘black’.
This cross-cultural project will see:
- New contemporary dance works created by significant Australian, Chinese and international choreographers and featuring the dancers from EDC and contemporary dance companies of repute from China including Guangdong Modern Dance Company, Beijing/ LDTX Dance and City Contemporary Dance Company (CCDC) from Hong Kong;
- Partnering with Guangzhou Modern Dance Festival and Beijing Dance Festival;
- Residencies – where the companies spend time creating new works in each other’s countries;
- Exchanges – where dancers from each country spend time working and performing with the other country;
- Tours, festivals and seasons – where new collaborative works, as well as individual works by each company, are presented, both in China and Australia; and Touring throughout China and Australia.