OneMusic Australia Offers Pause in Music Licensing Fees
Extended to Cover Online Dance Classes
OneMusic Australia has announced this week they will pause relicensing activity for businesses and organisations affected by COVID-19.
This applies to music used in. dance classes, fitness classes, yoga classes, pilates classes, zumba classes and more.
If your business or organisation is affected, please email OneMusic at email@example.com or use live chat between 9am-7pm AEDT weekdays to discuss.
They state they will make adjustments to your licence fee for the period you are directly affected.
They are also going to cover any live streamed dance class you host for your members as if it was a Dance Class conducted at your premises.
The OneMusic Australia Dance and Performance Instructors and Dance Schools licence would not normally cover the use of music in classes which are live-streamed, but because of the pandemic and forced business closures they have been able to – for a limited period – extend your licence to include the use of music in classes conducted over a live-stream.
- YOU need to stream the class itself. At the moment they cannot cover streams via other platforms like YouTube and Facebook and while you may choose to use one of those platforms OneMusic doesn’t own (control) all the music rights for Facebook and YouTube etc. This means that your live stream class music on those platforms is ‘tracked’ and you may be sent what is called a take-down notice or your live stream may be disrupted.
- The class must be from a secure password protected site (i.e. not generally open to non-students) but if you cannot technically do that then there must be no marketing or promotion of the class other than to students of your business/school. In any event the stream must only be available for viewing in Australia.
- They will grant the licence for the purpose of live-streaming only (they don’t have the rights to let you copy, store and subsequently communicate the class).
- The stream is not to include any third-party advertising.
- This additional activity under OneMusic Australia’s licence coverage is granted for a temporary period of six months (through to 30 September 2020) due to the extraordinary circumstances brought about by COVID-19, and will be further considered during that period.
For more information go to: onemusic.com.au/news/2020/march/live-streamed-classes-during-covid-19/