Free Outdoor Dance Classes at Sydney Opera House
Tuesdays in March
The Sydney Opera House have announced the creative artists that will lead the free dance classes this March as part of Every Body Dance Now.
As part of the Summer In The City program, the Sydney Opera House are hosting Every Body Dance Now, a free series of outdoor dance classes to be presented on the spectacular Opera House Forecourt on Tuesdays throughout March.
Enabled by a NSW Government initiative, Culture Up Late, to increase access to Sydney’s cultural offering in the city, several free classes will be held this March, allowing attendees to share in the joy of dance against one of the world’s most iconic backdrops. The precinct will come alive as world-class dancers, choreographers, performing artists and educators lead classes in the open air, teaching a mixture of contemporary, jazz, hip-hop and Latin dance.
The dance creatives include:
- Juliette Barton (Sydney Dance Company)
- Masha Belash (Burn The Floor,resident professional dancer and finalist Dancing With The Stars, resident choreographer So You Think You Can Dance)
- James Barry (Artistic Director – Phly Crew, So You Think You Can Dance finalist, Australia’s Got Talent finalist)
- Leah Howard (performer in Disney’s Aladdin and Mary Poppins, Resident Director/Choreographer for School of Rock and The Rocky Horror Show)
- Alice Tauv (Finalist and winner of International and National Hip Hop competitions and battles)
- Cathie Goss (Dance for Parkinsons, Rehearsal Director for Bangarra Dance Theatre, Sydney Dance Company and Australian Dance Theatre)
- Ramon Doringo (Sydney Dance Company)
Two sessions will be held every Tuesday from 9 March: an afternoon class at 3:30pm and a second, dusk session at 6pm. Classes will provide an opportunity for everything from a gentle, more accessible flow, to a funky, up-tempo, (slightly) sweaty dance-jam. Welcoming participants of all levels, ages and abilities, the free experience is a fun and inclusive way for everybody to step out of the daily grind and onto the world’s most spectacular outdoor stage. Artistic prowess not required.
Sydney Opera House Director of Programming Fiona Winning said: “We’re thrilled to be able to reinvigorate our precinct during summer with a free, accessible and participatory program of outdoor dance classes, thanks to the NSW Government. Every Body Dance Now will provide a fantastic opportunity for Sydneysiders to get out of the lounge room and share the joy of dancing together in a group again, outside in the open air with one of the world’s most iconic harbours as a dance partner.”
NSW Minister for the Arts Don Harwin said: “I am delighted that the NSW Government’s Culture Up Late initiative is supporting the Opera House’s free program of outdoor dance classes. The arts industry plays an important role in our community’s health and wellbeing through creative participation, so this is a great way for the community to connect in a COVID-safe way in one of our city’s most special meeting places”.
While dancing together as a community, this event is 100% COVID safe. There will be no partner work or touching and participants will be socially distanced. In the event of rain, the event will not go ahead. All tickets are free but participants must register.
The Summer in the City Program is an initiative of the NSW Government.
EVERY BODY DANCE NOW
Forecourt Sydney Opera House
March 9, 16, 23 & 30
3:30pm & 6pm
Free Registrations: www.sydneyoperahouse.com