Audition Brief for Principals, Ensemble & Acrobats
Submissions Close August 28 & 30
by Chris Duncan
PIPPIN the musical will open in Sydney at The Lyric Theatre from November 24, being one of the first shows to open post-Covid19.
With a beloved score by Oscar and Grammy winner Stephen Schwartz (Wicked, Godspell), PIPPIN tells the story of a young man at a crossroads in his life. Does he follow in the footsteps of his father, one of the most powerful men in the land? Or does he strike out on his own, to find his own ‘corner of the sky’? PIPPIN is a play within a play. The story is told by a travelling troupe of actors and acrobats (called ‘Players’), directed by the mysterious Leading Player. Like a vaudeville act, the Players both act out the roles of the story and speak directly to the audience.
Producers John Frost and Suzanne Jones are excited to announce that applications for auditions for the Sydney-only production of PIPPIN are now open. They are seeking performers for principal roles, ensemble cast and acrobats.
Two audition briefs are attached – one for PRINCIPALS AND ENSEMBLE and the other for ACROBATS ONLY.
They are looking for performers who are available from early October 2020 to January 2021.
All audition applications must be made via the Gordon Frost Organisation auditions portal https://registration.gordonfrostorganisation.com with auditions taking place in SYDNEY ONLY from 4 – 20 September 2020.
COVID audition guidelines will be put in place prior to auditions and distributed to auditionees in advance.
Auditions will be strictly by invitation only.
The casting agents ask that you please read the audition information closely and ONLY put forward performers that meet the casting requirements and have suitable professional and/or training experience.
Applications Close: August 28 @ 5pm
Cast Auditions: 4-14 September 2020
Cast Rehearsals: 5 October – 8 November 2020
CURRENTLY SEEKING THE FOLLOWING AUSTRALIAN SPECIALTY PERFORMERS FOR PIPPIN THE MUSICAL:
• Multi-Disciplinary Hand-to-Hand Duos
• Hand Balancers
• Aerial Contortionists
MALE PORTERS x 2
• Requirement: High Level of Porting Hand to Hand/Banquine
• Following additional skills: Juggling/Passing, Chinese Pole, Rola Bola, Tumbling, Cyr Wheel, OR other Variety Skill.
MALE HAND BALANCER/ACROBATS x 2
• Requirement: High Level of Hand Balancing
• Following additional skills: Hand to Hand Flyer, Tumbling, Chinese Pole, Juggling/Passing OR Variety Skill
FEMALE FLYER x 1
• Requirement: High Level of Flying Dynamic Hand to Hand
• Following additional skills: Flying Banquine, Hand-balancing, Tumbling, Aerial Silks, Aerial Hoop, Contortion, Juggling/Passing OR Variety Skill
FEMALE AERIALIST/CONTORTIONISTS x 2
• Requirement: High-Level Ariel Silks/Flexibility
• Following additional skills: Hula Hoop, Aerial hoop, Hand Balancing, Hand to Hand Flyer, Juggling/Passing OR Variety Skill
DOWNLOAD THE AUDITION BRIEF FOR ACROBATS HERE: PIPPIN Audition Brief – Acrobats
PRINCIPALS & ENSEMBLE AUDITIONS
Applications Close: August 30 @ 6pm
Cast Auditions: 11-20 September 2020
Cast Rehearsals: 19 October – 22 November 2020
• One (1) short song that shows off your vocal range and in the style of Pippin.
• For the 1st ROUND please prepare the 1st ROUND audition sides and songs for the character you wish to audition for.
• Please bring appropriate dance wear and shoes as you may be required to do a movement call for the 1st round.
• If you are successful in receiving a CALL BACK audition or would like to familiarise yourself with material ahead of time, please note that CALL BACK ROUND audition sides and songs are also available to be downloaded (see below).
• Two (2) short songs that shows off your vocal range and in the style of Pippin. You may only be required to perform one (1) song for the 1st round.
• For the 1st ROUND familiarise yourself with the audition excerpt from the song ‘Morning Glow’. Music is available to download via the audition portal or link as listed below.
• Everyone will be required to dance FIRST. Please bring appropriate dance wear and shoes. If you are released after the dance call you won’t be required to sing.
• If you have any acrobatic or circus skills please advise on application. You may be asked to demonstrate these in the 1st round.
• If you receive a CALL BACK you will be required to prepare Principal material for the character you are most suited to cover. The Audition Panel will advise of character and material to prepare.