Audition Brief for The Secret Garden Musical
Submissions Close Monday November 18
by Chris Duncan
Opera Australia and John Frost are proud to issue the official Audition Brief for the upcoming 25th anniversary Australian production of The Secret Garden.
Before submitting any application, please ensure you clearly read the entire brief below. Please note, not all applications will receive an audition. Auditions are strictly by invitation only and at the discretion of the Producers.
Somewhere someone buried the key. The key to life. The key that opens the hidden door to…
When it premiered on Broadway in 1991, The Secret Garden took New York by storm. Tony Awards, national tours and international productions all followed. Now, for the first time in 25 years, this sensational musical returns to Australia in all its glory. The famous novel by Frances Hodgson Burnett on which the musical is based is known and loved by many. This heart-warming story comes to life on stage with the same magical qualities, and rewards audiences with its sophisticated take on this literary classic.
Mary Lennox arrives at her uncle’s home to find distant grieving relatives and an uncared-for garden. The story centres around the orphaned Mary as she and a young gardener breathe new life into the secret garden. Mary blossoms too, and through this she tends to all the hearts around her.
The sumptuous score contains a raft of wonderful songs, including ‘A Bit of Earth’, ‘Show Me the Key’, and the unforgettable ‘Lily’s Eyes’.
PRODUCERS OPERA AUSTRALIA & JOHN FROST
BOOK AND LYRICS BY MARSHA NORMAN
MUSIC BY LUCY SIMON
BASED ON THE NOVEL BY FRANCES HODGSON BURNETT
DIRECTOR SUSAN H. SCHULMAN
CHOREOGRAPHER MICHAEL LICHTEFELD
MUSICAL DIRECTOR GUY SIMPSON
RESIDENT DIRECTOR PETER ADAMS
Dates are subject to change at the Producer’s discretion.
Cast rehearsals commence in Sydney on or about Monday 15 June 2020.
Publicity dates and costume fittings may be required in advance of these dates (exact dates to be advised).
The Premiere season commences at the Sydney Lyric Theatre in August 2020.
Specific requirements for auditions will be provided with confirmation of audition time. All auditionees must prepare the following material:
- Prepare two (2) songs of your choice consistent with the style and period of the show that best demonstrates vocal range. You should have available at least two contrasting selections, but should not choose material from The Secret Garden score.
AUDITION GUIDELINES & DATES
All auditionees will need to be available for the below audition period to be considered for this production.
Monday 9 December – Wednesday 11 December 2019
CALLBACKS – Thursday 12 December – Saturday 14 December 2019
The Opera Centre, Sydney. 480 Elizabeth St, Surry Hills NSW, 2010
Sunday 15 December 2019 – Tuesday 17 December 2019
CALLBACKS – Wednesday 18 December – Thursday 19 December 2019
FINALS – Friday 20 December 2019
The Ministry of Dance, Melbourne. Level 1, 64 Sutton St, North Melbourne, VIC, 3051
- Auditions are strictly by appointment only. Auditions cannot be guaranteed for all applicants submitted.
- Auditionees should be available for the entire audition period. Any restrictions must be noted in the submission.
- Auditions will take place in Sydney and Melbourne only.
- Auditions are at the risk and the sole financial responsibility of the auditionee.
- Auditionees may be photographed and recorded as part of their participation in the audition process for casting purposes.
- Auditionees may be asked to be recorded, either inside or outside of the audition room, with such recording to possibly be used for promotional content of the production process including, but not limited to; news stories, programing for broadcast and social media. Such recording will be voluntary and without compensation.
This production recognises the diversity of the Australian performing community and we seek to foster a more realistic and more creative representation of Australia on our stages. To this end we strongly encourage applications from performers of varied experiences, perspectives and circumstances including performers form culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and performers with disabilities.
Submissions close 11:59pm Monday 18 November, 2019. Successful applicants will receive appointment times no later than 7 days prior to auditions.
FOR ALL FURTHER DETAILS ON ROLES AVAILABLE AND HOW TO SUBMIT FOR AUDITIONS, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR AGENT.