Hi DanceLife friends,
Happy 2011 – a new year, a new decade and a great time to set your goals!!!
I started 2011 with a wonderful rest with my family after a very busy year in 2010 choreographing on SYTYCD season 3, teaching at UDC, choreographing several J Foxx corporate events then to top it off Dougie and I having our second beautiful baby girl, Aaliyah Verne Blaikie, join our family.
Now we’re right into 2011 I’m ready for a fabulous year of creating, inspiring and sharing my passion and knowledge of dance.
Last week I held an audition for an upcoming corporate gig and thought in would be a good idea to give you a few important tips for 2011 on how to audition successfully:
- Walk into every audition focused and ready to show your best work
- Be prepared by knowing as much as you can about the gig and choreographer
- Have an updated, legible resume and headshot that looks like you
- Make sure we can see your body and wear appropriate clothes and shoes
- Warm up
- Pick up the choreography as quick as possible
- Give your best performance and don’t be afraid to ask questions
- Listen to the choreographer and if they give you a correction, fix it and show you are capable of taking direction
- As a choreographer, we want you to have a great audition so we can see your talent, so breathe, enjoy and be confident!
That being said:
- Go into every audition hoping for the best, expecting the worst and always give it your all.
- Learn from every audition, the more you audition the better you get and the better you get the more confident you will become.
- Knowledge is not just power, it is empowering!
- Learning is a continual process
I’ve started teaching my lyrical class at UDC on Tuesdays 6.30-8pm and I’m excited about challenging myself and creating new routines for you all, so I’d love to see you in class! Or perhaps at our next audition 🙂
Juliette Verne Blaikie